College student and certified personal trainer
You were diagnosed at a young age. Did it impact your outlook for the future? Do you have a different perspective now?
“After being diagnosed, I felt relieved. Having the knowledge of the condition was powerful and helped me to feel optimistic about the future. My positivity continues today.”
- Q. What does being a GILENYA Guide mean to you?
- A. “Being a GILENYA Guide means reaching others who may have or are currently struggling with things I experienced. I always hope others feel like they can relate to what I've faced so they don't feel alone. The scariest part is feeling alone. Being a Guide can mean inspiring someone... giving someone hope.”
- Q. What would you tell someone who's been recently diagnosed with relapsing MS?
- A. “I would tell them that they have a great support system within the MS community. The most important thing to keep in mind is that everything comes back to one's personal attitude.”
- Q. What was your reaction when learning about the baseline assessment tests and what the first dose observation (FDO) would be like?
- A. “I saw the tests as a positive obstacle to overcome because it meant I was that much closer to being on GILENYA.”
- Q. What was your first day on GILENYA like? What did you do to pass the time (during the 6-hour monitoring of the first-dose observation, or FDO)?
- A. “My first day on GILENYA was actually relaxing because I rarely get time to myself... so I used it as 'me time.' I read a book, watched movies, and I even got to have lunch with the receptionists in the doctor's office!”
- Q. What do you tell other people with relapsing MS?
- A. “Generally we trade stories, listen to each other's experiences with relapsing MS. By doing that, we're able to create a unique and powerful bond. Again, my mantra tends to be, 'It's all about the positive attitude.'”
- Q. What would you tell someone thinking about taking GILENYA?
- A. “I would say that it's important to do research on all relapsing MS treatments, talk to their doctor, and put a lot of thought into their treatment.”
- Q. How many relapses were you experiencing before you started GILENYA?
- A. “Two or three a year over a period of 5 years.”
- Q. How many relapses have you had since you started taking GILENYA?
- A. “Zero.”
- Q. Singer/songwriter and MS advocate David Osmond created a song to inspire others with relapsing MS. Do you have an "I Can Do This" moment?
- A. “I have 'I Can Do This' moments nearly every day ... it's a common occurrence because it needs to be. Good days, bad days, days when I feel limited ... choosing to have that moment is what's important.”